Thursday, November 02, 2017

Conor

It has been nearly 3 years since I've posted on my blog.  I started posting more on Facebook and writing less about the posts.  Sharing myself became harder.  I'm not all that sure I want to start up again, but... I want to be able to remember.  I love looking at the memories on my blog - remembering.  This year has been tough - the past 3 years have been, really. But I don't want to talk about that now - maybe never.    

I've posted pictures of our grand daughters on Facebook and our weekly activities, and maybe I'll catch them all up on here eventually for myself.  

Tonight, however, is focused on Conor.  Such a bright light in my life.  I'm so very proud of him and the young man he has become.  Tonight we went to his soccer banquet - the first of 4, I believe.  He is a Freshman and I'm sure he will play all 4 years in High School.  The season has been over for a few weeks and he still goes to the park most days after school to practice.  The banquet was a little chaotic and a little long, but it didn't bother me so much.  Listening to the coaches tell stories about each player and honor their accomplishments made the 3 hours go by pretty fast.  

One of the awards Conor was given an award for maintaining a 3.4 or higher GPA during soccer season - he was one of only a surprisingly small number of the two teams (Varsity and JV).  He has worked hard for the past 6 months - spending the summer in conditioning and every day after school practicing.  He does well in school, trying hard and feeling proud of himself for his accomplishments.  He is in Honors Biology, Honors Geometry, and the only Freshman in Algebra II with Juniors and Seniors.  He is really driven to do his best in whatever he is doing.  

I talk to him about a lot of things - and he listens.  He talks to me - and I listen.  He pays attention to what is going on around him.  He can have an in depth conversation on many "adult" topics.  He is funny and kind.   


That's him up there on the right ^ in a picture that was taken on Homecoming night.  He went with a group of friends.  I took him suit shopping the week before, and we had a good time.  He really liked the red tie - which is a bit strange since he is red/green color blind.  I'm not sure what he sees when he looks at it, but it was the first thing he picked out.  He loves the suit and hopes there is another occasion he can wear it to soon.  He's going to be 15 years old in a little over a month, and he's more mature than some adults I've met.  

I love that he talks to me.  I love that he loves to learn.  I love that he is kind.  I love that he is funny and sarcastic at times.  I love that he is an awesome uncle and his nieces adore him.  I love him.  He doesn't follow the crowd and he makes intelligent decisions.  I really hope he continues on the path he has chosen.  

No comments: