Thursday, March 31, 2005

Embarassing Moment turned Inside Joke

Ever have one of those moments when you call someone by the wrong name? Well, we have a UPS guy who has been picking up our packages every day for at least the past 5 years that I have been employed there. After about a year (all the time talking to him almost every day), I left a note for him on the packages up front because I didn't want to miss him and I had a question or something, I don't remember why. Well, on the note, I wrote "Steve, please see me before you take these packages" or something to that effect. Well, he brought the note back to me and asked - "Is this note for me? Because my name is not Steve, it's Dave." Talk about wanting to crawl under a rock!! But being the great guy that he is, he took it all in stride, laughed about it, and to this day we still call him Stevie. Stevie Brown to be exact, because of the brown UPS uniform he wears. We have never called him "Dave" since the incident. Whenever he is on vacation or is out sick, we ask his replacement "Where's Stevie?" Not even thinking about the fact that it is not his real name, because to us it is his name. And they are always confused... Who is Stevie? Is always the response. We use UPS as much as possible because "Stevie Brown" is wonderful!

No comments: