Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Blackmail or Bargaining?

I went home for lunch today and the first thing Conor said to me was, "Momma, can I have a popsicle?"

"Did you eat lunch yet?"

"Yes!"

"What did you have?" I asked.

"I had, ummmm, toast!" (A "Yeah, that's it" kinda look on his face..)

"Well, that sounds more like breakfast, so maybe you need to eat some lunch."

Dad speaks up, "He had ham and cheese."

"Yeah! So, can I have a popsicle?"

"OK, you can have one. But that will be all, OK?"

"OK, Momma!" He ran off to select the one he wanted, his sister opened it for him.

Five minutes later he came back. I was trying to help Jeff with a math problem he was trying to figure out. "Momma, can I have some Ice Cream?"

"No, you just had a popsicle."

"But, I've not had an ice cream!"

"Sorry, you chose a popsicle, you are not having both." I turned back to Jeff to help, but he had already figured it out. So I turned back to Conor. "Did you brush your teeth this morning?"

"If I did, can I have an ice cream?"

"No."

I got up and went into the kitchen to sort through the mail I had just brought in. I was shredding some junk mail when I heard Conor asking Jeff for an ice cream.

"Conor, leave Daddy alone, he's trying to do his homework." I yelled into the bedroom.

Conor then came into the kitchen and said, "Well, if you give me some ice cream I won't bother Daddy, but if you won't give me some ice cream I will go bother Daddy." He actually said this with his eyes really big and innocent.

"I'm not giving you ice cream, and you can take your chances with your Daddy. I wouldn't bother him, though, because you will just get into trouble." I was trying so hard not to burst out laughing! Trying to blackmail me to get his way! yeah, right... :)

Then I heard him in the bedroom talking to Jeff, "If you give me some ice cream, Daddy, I won't bother you. If you don't give me some ice cream, I will bother you."

Jeff replied, "No."

"But...." he started.

"No." Jeff repeated.

So his blackmail didn't work. He left our bedroom and went to find Allie. Allie and Conor walked out of Allie's room towards the kitchen. "Did you say it was OK for Conor to have ice cream?" Allie asked.

"No, I told him he could not have any."

"He just came in my room and told me 'Mommy and Daddy said I could have some ice cream.'"

Figures. Sneaky little snot. lol Trying so hard to get his ice cream.

He then decided that he wanted more lunch - I think he thought if he ate more food, he would be allowed some ice cream. I don't know the outcome of that because I had to leave to go back to work. It was just really funny all of the ways he was trying to get some ice cream. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That IS hilarious. I'm torn between not being able to wait until Colin can say things like that and being terrified of it!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this couldn't come from MY side of the family......we don't like ice cream!!

;-)