Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I could never be a vampire

Have you read Twilight or seen the movie? No? I didn't think so. Most of the adults I know who read this blog haven't found the urge to read the vampire mega-hit miniseries. Or to run out to the movies to sit amongst thousands of teenage girls who squeal in delight every time Robert Pattinson or Taylor Lautner appears on screen.

Well, I did read it. Not just IT, but THEM. I read all 4 of the books and I enjoyed them. Yes I will admit it! I first went to see the movie Twilight with Alli - it had been out for a few weeks when we saw it, so we didn't have all the screaming girls in the theater while we were watching it. I hadn't even heard of it before seeing the movie and I had no idea it was based on a book. I love books, I love to read, and given the option I'd rather read a book than watch a movie. I also am aware that no movie will ever do a book justice. There is just so much more a book can tell you than a movie can - if movies were true to books, they would be at least 10 hours long and have a LOT more cost to them. So I do keep this in mind when I watch a movie. They have a time limit and a budget, so they have to cut some things and if the over all gist of the movie is the same, I'll forgive them.

Anyway! I saw Twilight, then bought the books and read them all, and then saw New Moon (2nd book/movie in the series). We made an evening of it - I bought tickets for opening night weeks in advance - Alli, Sara, and I went out to dinner and then to the movies to see it. It was a fun night with the girls, but I didn't like the movie.

All of this is SOOOO beside the point of this post. This is what happens when your sleep is wacky and you are awake and in pain in the middle of the night. You write these long, babbling posts to try to make ONE point. And here it is - THE POINT TO THE MADNESS: In the books, and in the movie, the main vampires are "good" vampires - they don't feed on humans. Thus they have an "ache" in their throats that they just learn to live with - animal blood dulls it, but does not erase it.

Maybe I'm just a big wimp, but having had this pain in my throat for 5 days now and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not cut out for being a vampire - at least not one of the good ones.*

*disclaimer: yes, I do know that vampires do not exist but I am in pain and cannot be held responsible for the thoughts running through my mind or the fact that I come to the Internet to share such thoughts with you. it is supposed to be funny, so just laugh at my pain and move on! even though I'm not laughing yet, I hope to eventually when the pain goes away!

3 comments:

Deb ellsworth said...

I'm a card carrying twihard. The only way to truly enjoy the movies is on opening night with the screaming teens and their moms. Because the moms are screaming too. Books are so much better. I have no idea how they are going to manage the birth scene.

Mayo said...

Embarrassed to admit I have read all the Twilight books. However, I will NOT see the movies while playing in theaters...haha.
I agree whole heartedly with you, the books are ALWAYS better than the movie. I am always disappointed seeing a movie made from a book. I love Dean Koontz and like Stephen King, but their movies always lacked something (in my opinion) compared to the books.

Barb said...

I am not interested in the books (though I love books too!). I won't be seeing the movies. Vampires and werewolves hold no fascination for me. However, I will NOT laugh at your pain! I feel so badly for you and can't wait to hear that you are feeling so much better and eating popcorn!
love you, Barb